S-18 transmission line trainer has been designed for teaching and measuring the various parameters associated with transmission lines. Students can experiment, measure and understand the various abstractions like; characteristic impedance, standing wave pattern, VSWR, R+jX, impedance variation along mismatched line, smith chart, impedance matching, insertion loss, forward & reverse power and s-parameters(optional). students can also experiment with principles of time domain reflectometry; study pulse response to short, open, termination in Zo, velocity factor, fault location, etc on any general purpose laboratory oscilloscope - above 50MHz preferred. S-18 transmission line trainer is self contained and requires no other expensive RF measuring equipment. It comprises of a motorised 50ohm slotted line with voltage & current pickups, 1.3GHz synthesized receiver with built-in tracking RF source and TDR pulse output, directional coupler, dual slug tuner, various terminations, adapters and cables. S-18 transmission line trainer works in stand alone mode as well as in conjunction with a PC. Auto measurements can be made at 800MHz and the SWR printed directly via centronics on an epson lx800 or compatible printer. STS-3033 windows software greatly enhances the understanding of the transmission line theory. Experiment & Study Areas
- Standing wave patterns upto four patterns at a time.
- Complex impedance measure R+jX.
- SMITH chart auto and manual.
- Study relationship of VSWR.
shift in minima, reflection co-eff for
- Case 1: Matched Line
- Case 2: Open-Circuited Line
- Case 3: Short-Circuited Line
- Case 4: Inductive (nonresistive) Load
- Case 5: Capacitive (nonresistive) Load
- Case 6: Resistive Load > Zo
- Case 7: Resistive Load < Zo
- Case 8: Resistive-Inductive Load
- Case 9: Resistive-Capacitive Load